"Tough times don't last, tough people do."

Sunday, November 19, 2023

Well, we'd hoped for good news on November 16, but...

Apologies again for getting so behind on the updates here. This is going to be a quick, abbreviated recap only. It's all I can manage just now.

The final cycle of chemo went pretty well. It zapped his strength again, but he was recovering well and feeling better and better after the last round. He had a new scan on the 13th, last Monday, and he was scheduled to see the Oncologist on Thursday the 16th to discuss results and plans going forward.

It breaks my heart to share that he had a bad fall around 5am or so that morning. Although I could see no evidence of injury, he said he'd hit his head hard. For the first time, for all the falls in the last year, his head ached horribly, and he was somewhat confused and not always making sense when he talked to me. He also vomited.

I asked if he could tell me his name, and when he couldn't, I called 911 for the first time.

They took him to a hospital ER nearby. I joined him there. They processed him quickly, and a CT scan was done, and a large bleed showed, requiring immediate surgery. Which happened a little later that morning.

Post-op there were signs of improvement initially. However, yesterday the swelling started to expand again, and they performed the surgery again.

He remains in the ICU currently, fully sedated. He is intubated to help with getting all his vitals and "levels" stabilized. They have started giving him some nutrition via feeding tube. They've been pumping potassium, magnesium, fluids, electrolytes and more that I couldn't name.

I am not sharing every detail, but the situation is critical, and the next few days will be difficult while we see how things progress. Unfortunately, the last year of cancer treatment has complicated everything.

I fear it does not look good. If he survives, long-term rehab will be necessary.

I will post again, with updates, as best I can. 

In a year of horrors and scary shit, this is the worst. I sit with him, tell him how much I love him, how much everyone loves him, whatever comes to mind in the moment. It hurts more than I can say that he can't respond. 

I keep telling everyone at the hospital what a great guy he is, that if he could speak, he'd be making them laugh. And I know they are taking good care of him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Taylor's first post...

Yep, this is going to be a rough time, and it's scary, but we are both committed to doing everything we can to beat this thing. We will ...