"Tough times don't last, tough people do."

Wednesday, November 22, 2023

He's doing so well...

Wow, another long day. And it's a whole different level of distraction with his sisters and my Mom with me most of the day...🤪

When I first arrived, alone at first with him, he was chatty, and speaking much more clearly, even a few whole sentences. He also asked how he got there, so he's definitely more awake and aware. Also shows some short term memory lost, but I think it's a blessing that he doesn't remember all that trauma.

I also explained that we weren't at the VA, telling him we were at the Northridge Medical Center - and from that point on, whenever medical staff asked him if he knew where he was, he said Northridge Medical Center instead of hospital, so he retained that right off.

But it was a busy day for him. PT assessed him. They couldn't get him to sit on the edge of the bed or stand yet, but they got him moving his right arm and fingers more, asking us to encourage him to do more of that... He was exhausted after that, and when the swallow people came shortly after, his speech was a little mushy, he was a less alert.

He didn't quite pass the swallow test, so feeding tube is still in. They are going to do a barium swallow test either tomorrow or Friday (they weren't sure they could squeeze him in tomorrow with only holiday staff). He had one of these back in July, and I even snagged a little video of it. You can see that at this link, if you're curious: Click here for video.

They want to make sure they didn't create any issues when they intubated him before they move forward on removing feeding tube, it have him try to eat/drink.

And they took him for a new MRI. Nothing too dramatic, but swelling it going down. I was a little nervous - last time they did MRI, I got call that they had to do 2nd surgery. This time I had to ask for a report on results. "No news is good news..."

I waited for him to ask for his phone, which he did later in the afternoon. I put it in his left hand that is currently working better than his right, and he was too tired to lift it, but talked about how heavy it was. And said he didn't have anyone he needed to call. And he didn't want me to help him look at anything. But he wanted to hold it.

I'm not sure he could figure out how to answer it just yet either. Wish I'd thought to turn ringer off, just let it vibrate instead. He usually doesn't get too many calls, so hopefully he won't get any before I go back in the morning.

He was more alert and speaking better by the time I did leave. His sisters had turned on his TV, which he really wasn't paying attention to, but he didn't want it turned off.

Back to see him in the morning. Pooped tonight. But went okay!!! Generally another good day!

I hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving tomorrow. We are feeling very thankful for all the support from everyone. May you all be safe and eat well! 🥰✌️

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Taylor's first post...

Yep, this is going to be a rough time, and it's scary, but we are both committed to doing everything we can to beat this thing. We will ...