"Tough times don't last, tough people do."

Monday, June 12, 2023

How has a week gone by...

I can't believe I haven't updated this blog for a whole week! Seriously, I could have sworn it was only a couple of days...!!!😳

Today!
(Monday, June 12th)

As you can see, the feeding tube is gone! In fact, he's not hooked up to anything anymore. He's been eating more solid food (they aren't pureeing everything anymore), and his ailments are much improved all around.

Best news of all, they moved him to the Acute Rehab Unit today. If they didn't think he was strong enough, they could have tried sending him to a nursing home for rehab - which he definitely didn't want!

Instead, he's still in the same facility, just on a different floor. And they'll be doing a formal Physical Therapy evaluation tomorrow to determine the schedule, planning on 3 hours a day of intense Therapy (as safety and his health allow). And he's committed to being prepared, ready, and willing to do everything they ask of him, to the best of his ability.

The Rehab nurses we met today were all great. He's already charming them, naturally. 

On the home front, I've been extra crazy busy working on projects with the help of dear friends. Working toward a deep clean of the house, finally got the washer/dryer out of the laundry room (gonna need a mold inspection and a little clean up and flooring change before new machines can be installed), and so many different little chores. It's endless and great and exhausting. A bit of a rollercoaster at times. And, all in all, consumes all the time I'm not at the hospital, physically and mentally - until I hit the fatigue wall at night.

Hoping to have things in sparkling shape by the time Biff comes home - so there's almost a sense of being in a race. LOL The Big cleaning day (crew of 5 professionals coming) is next Monday, the 19th...

If he does manage to recover that miraculously, I've recruited an old pal to take Biff to his place while the cleaning happens. I think, realistically, it might take a little longer than 6 days for him to be strong enough, but he's a tough mofo (🫢) and has surprised me with his resilience for decades now, so there's a chance!

But, if you want to see a picture of his skinny legs, click the link below (I think you'll see why I have a little skepticism).


He weighed in at 157.6 lbs. when he arrived at the Rehab unit today. Of course, we have to laugh - every scale in that place tells a different story, varying by more than 5 lbs. either way, in some cases, from one to another. But, he's easily lost 40+ pounds since December and a lot of muscle. He's determined to come back in better shape than he was before, and if it takes longer than he'd prefer, it won't be for lack of trying!

So, a new page in the latest chapter - and joyous news as far as I'm concerned! The dogs and I can't wait for him to come back home!

Speaking of the dogs, as I was leaving for the hospital the other day:

First it was just Snookie. She looks so sad.

I put my phone down, but when I looked again, Bopper had joined his big sister...🥰

Did I mention that our neighbor is now walking the dogs three times a week? So grateful! Alleviates at least a little of the guilt I feel that they aren't getting enough attention right now.

Same neighbor also texted me today, asking if he could pick up anything for me at Costco - and I had just run out of my favorite cereal!! So nice!

Family, friends, neighbors - and fans and just plain strangers! Medical professionals! These days Biff can't keep himself from getting emotional trying to explain how moved he is by all the support, all the care, the generosity, all the LOVE that has come our way during this difficult time. 

I can only echo the sentiment. He's pondering it all with a little more depth, a more metaphysical, philosophical perspective than my own. I'm just enormously grateful.🫶

If course, he has more time for that sort of thinking than I do right now. 🤪

He's so ready to get out of there, trying to keep himself occupied, distracted as best he can from the boredom of being trapped in a bed. Rehab will be great. It'll be so good for him to get moving again!

More "adventures" ahead, but he's getting to the other side of this traumatic crisis. 

Hurray! Huzzah! Hallelujah!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Taylor's first post...

Yep, this is going to be a rough time, and it's scary, but we are both committed to doing everything we can to beat this thing. We will ...