"Tough times don't last, tough people do."

Tuesday, January 10, 2023

5th Radiation treatment...

He felt like some fish 'n chips after radiation today. One of his favorites!

He didn't manage to eat it all, so he brought some home. Plans to have the leftovers for dinner.

We went to the closer facility this morning to do the "day before chemo" lab tests, which was super easy and quick. And saved us from having to go from radiation to the main building at the main facility later. It was raining during the quick morning trip, but the rain was gone when we left for the 12:45p. session at the main facility.

We also filled the car up with gas. Plenty of open pumps, so no waiting. Except the first pump we tried wouldn't work. Had to get help, and finally moved to a different pump. Just a little weirdness along this bizarre road. LOL

The the radiation treatment was nice and quick. Even with the doctor coming in to adjust the dressings they put on his neck before locking down the mask.

All in all, a decent day.

Even without the rain there was extra traffic today. Turned out that mud had flowed onto the freeway in a couple spots, and they had a lane closed to clean it up.

Honestly, the green on the hillsides continues to delight me.

There was a little aggravation when we got to the radiation building. The gate to the dedicated parking lot wouldn't work, not even the intercom. Not knowing what the hell was going on, Biff got out and walked up to the building while I waited in the car at the gate. It isn't too far, you can see the front door basically, and it wasn't raining and had dried up a lot.

After a few minutes, he came back out and started walking back to me, waving his arms to indicate I should leave?!? He didn't call, although I knew he had his phone. So I called him, but he somehow didn't hear it. I thought maybe the building had flooded and was closed or something. 

Turns out, it was just the gate not working, and I needed to park elsewhere. I asked why he hadn't called to tell me rather than walk all the way back. Said he just didn't think of it... 

Sometimes he makes me nuts!

At least he got a little exercise.

They'd already taken him in when I got to the waiting room. And I was able to park pretty darn close, walking only a little farther than he did. I also scoped out how I could get him closer to the entrance on a side road should this ever happen again when it is raining. Or if he doesn't feel up to the walk.

I was only waiting a few minutes before he was back out, and ready to go.

I did have a bit of conversation with a patient waiting who ask me about my shoes, and he started to tell me about the hardware in his foot from an accident that crushed it (among other injuries). I got the impression he was more interested in talking than he really was in the shoes. Sadly, the receptionist decided to come out and take over the conversation entirely. She is also a Vet and was telling us about acupuncture and other treatments that have helped her with pain and PTSD... 

She was still holding forth when Biff came out, and we left. I wished the guy luck on my way out the door. She was still talking... (Apparently, she'd noticed his birthday is Saturday and hers is Sunday...)

Drive home was a breeze. Had our fish lunch  and home again, home again. 

No headache today. He had a bad one last night that worried me. Not an expected side effect, but still - they are aiming radiation at his head! So I'm glad it's gone today. Most likely tension more than anything else. 

His voice was pretty hoarse when he first got up this morning, but that passed. He says he's feeling some pain on the outside of his neck, in the target area, right now. Putting some good lotion on it, hoping that will help. He should be able to rest until his online poker game tonight. He certainly continues to enjoy that each Tuesday night!

He also had a nice chat with a pal on the phone after we got back home. He has such good friends!

The journey continues. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Taylor's first post...

Yep, this is going to be a rough time, and it's scary, but we are both committed to doing everything we can to beat this thing. We will ...