"Tough times don't last, tough people do."

Monday, May 29, 2023

Back in ICU...

Biff is back in ICU (with PCU care which they consider one step down). Apparently around midnight his heart rate and temperature spiked, and he was mentally altered/confused. They called Rapid Response and he was moved upstairs. It was considered an aspiration event (fluid getting into lungs), which is not uncommon for patients who've had throat surgery, radiation, chemo...

They did another CT scan on his head and that's normal.

Has IVs attached to both arms and in the port. Has a suction tube to use whenever he wants. Giving him inhalers to try to help with the congestion.

I did not find out anything until he sent me an email at 11:15am with only a subject line saying they'd moved him to 5 west. He did not respond to text I immediately sent, did not answer phone when I tried calling. I called number for desk in unit he was in yesterday and got his new location info and was transferred to new nurse who explained briefly. I then got my shit together and headed to the hospital. Got here about 12:30pm.

He's been woozy, remembers almost nothing about all of it, but isn't "mentally altered" now. He dozes in and out constantly through.

I learned all of above detail from doctor I was able to speak to right away.

They will be testing his swallow function. Keeping him on only fluids for now. He is weak. Checks phone, falls asleep...

Doctor says they don't think he'll stay in this unit long, maybe a day or two, then he'll be transferred back downstairs.

Basically, we need to get him through this crisis before we get fully back to where we were yesterday. Expect there will be much more specific news tomorrow, when holiday weekend is finally over.

I'm super upset no one called me at any point to let me know what was going on. Sadly, I don't think they expect loved ones to always be intimately involved here are the VA... I don't know.

Will post more news when I can, as best I'm able.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Taylor's first post...

Yep, this is going to be a rough time, and it's scary, but we are both committed to doing everything we can to beat this thing. We will ...