"Tough times don't last, tough people do."

Wednesday, January 4, 2023

The first day went quite well...

 

He's doing really well. First day of radiation and chemo went great. We got out of there earlier than I expected, and traffic home wasn't too bad, even with the rain. 

But I was ready to eat once we were all settled back at home. They fed him lunch, but I hadn't prepared to feed myself... LOL

I took some pictures today - this one above was taken once we got home and found a gift on the doorstep (thank you, Bob & Sherry!).

If you are interested in more details and more pictures, click "Read more >>" below.

The drive in wasn't as bad as we'd feared. The rush hour traffic was lighter than I remember it from my days commuting to about the same location as the medical center - even with the wet. I'd say rain, but it was only a heavy mist during our drive. Lots of low clouds/fog though - truly a scenic drive today! LOL

First thing once we got there was dropping off the urine sample he couldn't produce yesterday. Pretty funny, since usually he has to pee every time he stands up...

Then on to the radiation building, which is separate from the main hospital building. They even have their own, much more convenient, parking area.

While we were waiting for them to take him in, a woman was brought out in a wheelchair, obviously not feeling well at all. I'm pretty sure the woman waiting for her was a professional caretaker. I took Biff's hand, to comfort both of us. The woman struggled to croak out how nice it was that we had someone to hold hands with. The caretakerr said she would hold her hand (a younger woman), and the sick woman firmly said, "No!" 

There was a beat of silence, and then we ALL burst out laughing.

Still, it was sad. I wanted to go hold her hand, but that seemed too weird. And Biff is, of course, my priority. 

Although I wasn't allowed to be with Biff during the radiation treatment, they did let me come back to see their set up and take some pictures. During the procedure, no one else is allowed to be in the room with him. The technicians monitor him (video and audio) from a separate room. A pretty standard office space but with many large monitors and computers and stuff. Didn't think to take a picture of that.

This is a picture that shows the big machine that moves around him for the treatment. The picture seems much brighter than the lighting felt in reality. Very dim. No decorations or anything. He's being positioned on the bed here. They use laser guides to help with that. Kinda hard to see in the picture, but it's the green lines.


In this picture, they are about to put the mask on him. You can see the technician on the left holding it - big, white mesh thing. Freaky.


Here's a close up of the mask. Still not a great picture. Kinda hard to really see it. I may try to get another picture some time.


And here's a picture of him in place with the mask on and all three of the technicians that will be his team for every treatment: (left to right) Kinley, Mikaela, and Bridget. You will probably have to zoom in to be able to see that the mask is now over his face.




Then I went back to the waiting room. Overall, it took about a half hour today to get the treatment done. They tell us it will take less than 15 minutes going forward.

Then it was off to chemo. Happily, they allowed us to stay in their parking lot and walk over to the other building. Which was a shorter walk than it would have been from the usual parking lot. However, it was raining enough that we used our umbrellas. Only time we needed them today, and we were really glad we had them with us. Of course, I can always drive to drop him off/pick him up at doors and then go park and walk in on my own, but the exercise is good for him, so when he feels up to it...

They had advised us to expect 4 hours for the chemo today. They have a dedicated Infusion Center, and it was busy. No room for guests to sit with the patient, so I waited out in chairs in the corridor with a few other "loved ones." But I was able to go in and check on him whenever I wanted to, and I did a few times.

They start the treatment by infusing him with fluids and having him drink juices - the hydration is important to protect his kidney function from the chemotherapy impact. Then they infuse him with anti-nausea medication, then the chemo infusion and more fluids. They even fed him lunch!

He had a choice of a few seats and found one he liked, tucked in a corner. Even had a handy plug on the wall next to him, so he was able to charge his tablet.

Here's a picture from the second-to-last time I checked on him, fast asleep (wearing his black mask and hat pulled down over his eyes). 

The last time I went to check on him, when I thought we had almost an hour still to go, he met me when I opened the door to the Infusion Center on his way out, all done!

I had my own experience, waiting for him out in the hall. There were four other women waiting, and we all chatted, shared stories, and generally bonded. One set, a mother and daughter waiting for Dad, had come up the elevators with us, and it was their first day, too. Their patient was getting a different type of treatment, but we expect to see each other each week for a while. The daughter, Monica, was crocheting when she wasn't rushing off to talk to her boss back at the office. The mother, Thelma, played on her phone. They live further way than we do, in a more rural area north of us. Monica even keeps chickens - and showed us pictures of blue eggs one of her chickens lays! Next week, she promises to bring me the pattern for the project she was crocheting.

The first woman I spoke to at length, I didn't get her name - she was able to take her Dad home soon after we got there, was an expert on the whole situation and offered a lot of encouragement and advice. Her Dad is fighting bladder cancer that is terminal, with chemo basically keeping him alive. They've been in the fight for a few years now. The doctor has told him that he'll keep doing the chemo as long as he wants to keep at it.

Finally, I met Susan. She was there with her husband, her only family, and she's very worried. But strong and lively. An "old hippy" - and her husband was a high school sweetheart that she reconnected with a few years ago. The "love of her life." They came in from Bakersfield, and his treatment is 8 hours! But they only come in every 3 weeks, so I won't see her again right away.

And that was it. The Infusion Center was packed, but there were only 5 of us waiting. Makes my heart ache to think so many may be dealing with this all on their own. Also made me marvel at the medical professionals that take care of these patients - I can't imagine how hard it would be to face it every day for years on end. Mad respect.

I didn't take a picture of those in the waiting area. Not appropriate at all. But I was honored to be among them. And grateful for the shared stories and wisdom and human spirit, you know?

We brought home two kinds of anti-nausea medications, but he hasn't needed them yet. I also went down to the dental office to pick up the fluoride trays they did the molds for yesterday. And we brought home some paperwork, information about the medications they are giving him during the treatment. Have to read those later. Pretty ready to just relax for a few minutes. Day isn't over yet, but things went well, all things considered.

2 comments:

  1. It's new hip Richard, just saying Bravo to Biff: one down and 2 months-ish to go! And Taylor, such great documentation and photos and details!! Thanks so much! Very moving. XXOO

    ReplyDelete
  2. You rock, Richard! Hoping to see some Elvis moves with that new hip, dear friend. Your support means a lot to both of us. XOXO

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

Taylor's first post...

Yep, this is going to be a rough time, and it's scary, but we are both committed to doing everything we can to beat this thing. We will ...